Friday, October 8, 2010

Fall reading habits

Fall means three things to me - Travel (audio books), Q4 book season (best of the best) and holidays (sappy Christmas romance novels)

I am well prepared for the first, already survived a few good trips with Michael Pollan (The Botany of Desire) with a new iPhone. On the docket is The Forgotten Garden (Kate Morton), Salt: A History of the World by Mark Kurlansky, and another Pollan, Second Nature.

The second, hmm, well I'm still trying to get through summer novels with Birthmarked. Not really sure what I should look for next.

And well the third, the holidays are coming early. The sappy Christmas romances are on the bookselves. Last week I picked up Lakeshore Christmas. Usually, these things all have the same story line - boy or girl leaves small town to come back years later to have a magical holiday & fall in love or overworked boy or girls meets someone over the holidays to help them re-evaluate their lives and have a magical holiday. Sometimes the fact that it's Christmas is secondary to the whole novel (I know that some were simply re-written, adding a few holiday references to catch those freaks like me) which I hate. Well, Lakeshore was way better than I expected. Very Christmasy with just a touch of magic. A good way to start the yearly tradition.

No comments: